Far few kilometers from the regional capital, Picerno lies on a hill, stretching before the visitor in an evocative landscape. The hill was inhabited by some nomadic people during the Iron Age, and then by Lucan ethnic groups that settled there until the late Empire. The boundary walls have been built between the 15th and the 18th century, and slowly destroyed after the famous eatrhquake in 1857. The ruins of the ancient Castle are still visible: the old manor have been replaced in 1726 by the Mother Church, with its Baroque front. The crypt is decorated with fresco depicting the Passion dated back to the second half of 18th century. Above the second altar on the right it is possible to admire a Nativity by Pietrafesa.
Local products and dishes
Picerno is famous across the regional borders for the high quality of its salami and cold pork meats, both homemade and industrially made.
ANNUNZIATA CHURCH: its portal is very important from an architectural point of view; it was built in the 14th century and tis beautiful ligneous front gate dates back to 1506.
HISTORICAL CENTER: it is enriched by several eighteenth-century buildings and by the central circular bastion with its four towers (15th century). Palazzo Caivano and Palazzo Scarilli, both built around 600 are very interesting. On the south-west side of the village stands the Little Church of Assunta (1462), full of decorations and stuccos and a ligneous false ceiling dating back to 1700.
9th of May Feast in honour of Patron Saint Nicholas from Bari
7th of August Feast in honour of Saint Donato
15th of August Feast in honour of Saint Mary Assunta
17th /18th August Feast in honour of Saint Rocco
1st of September Feast in honour of Patron Saint Egidio